Apply for Artist Grant
Individual Artist Grant Applications are paused until July 2024, please check back at that time.
INDIVIDUAL ARTIST GRANT
GUIDELINES FOR INDIVIDUAL ARTISTS
This Grant Program is a partnership between the City of Bismarck and Dakota West Arts Council. DWAC manages the program. This Individual grant program supports the creative work of individual artists in all disciplines while encouraging interaction between artists, community members, and the city at large. Projects may include exhibitions, site-specific works, installations, performances, or any other events or activities that are accessible to the general public and occurring during the 2022 calendar year. Visual, literary, media, musical, multi-dimensional, and performing artists are all encouraged to apply. Funding can pay your artist stipend, mileage, site preparation, materials, and other expenses directly related to the planning, creation, and completion of the project outlined in the grant request therefore supporting the mission of Dakota West Arts Council.
Dakota West Arts Council’s Grant program is designed to provide financial support for arts and cultural activities that merit public funding. A review Evaluation Committee consisting of artists and other community members evaluates each application and recommends funding. Evaluation Committee recommendations are presented to the Dakota West Arts Council Board of Directors for review and approval of all funding decisions. The Arts Council’s staff does not make funding decisions. Although two board members facilitate the panel meetings, they do not state opinions or make recommendations to the panel. All applicants will receive award notification via email in November. Successful applicants will receive their funds once a signed contract is returned (email is preferred with 2022 Grant Contract as the subject) and membership dues have been paid.
Anticipated 2024 Grant Schedule
|Grant Applications Available Online||July 30, 2024|
|Grant Applications Due to Dakota West Arts Council||August 30, 2024|
|Arts Council Grant Evaluation Committee Pre-Review Meeting||September, 2024|
|Grant Application Reviews||November TBD, 2024|
|Grant Recipient Notification and Contracts Issued by Email||December 1, 2024|
All Grant Contracts Must Be Completed, Signed, and Returned to
- Dakota West Arts Council no later than November 30, 2024.
- Applicants must be current members of Dakota West Arts Council. MEMBERSHIP can be acquired HERE.
- Artists applying for a grant must be at least 18 years of age and live and/or work in the city of Bismarck.
- Applicants who have received a Dakota West Arts Council grant last year must wait one (1) year to apply again. Successful applicants who did not return an Evaluation Form must wait three (3) years to apply again.
- Prior to applying for a grant, applicants who want to do public art in downtown Bismarck must first obtain the permission of the building owner/business to use their space and their approval of the artwork to be used or displayed. Prior to applying for a grant, you must also contact Community Development at the City of Bismarck to learn if the location for your public art requires the approval of the Bismarck Renaissance Zone Authority. If they determine you do need approval of the Renaissance Zone Authority, they will put you on the agenda and give you a meeting date and time. With questions regarding this process, please contact Molly at firstname.lastname@example.org or 701-222-6640.